Wednesday, August 29, 2012

Recommended Books on Leadership and Team Building


The most important thing a leader can do is set a good example, and if you want your team to be dynamic and learn more, you've got to continually innovate and find new ways to encourage, reward and motivate yourself! That's right, I said you've got to motivate! If you set a good example, and you're motivated, soon your team will be too!

That said, here are my recommendations for some good books on leadership and team building. Have fun!

The 21 irrefutable laws of leadership: follow them and people Follow You
In the absence of Forward
John C. Maxwell (http://www.injoy.com)

I recommend Maxwell's books for a number of reasons. One is because he is a pastor, so he recommends a very ethical leadership, grounded by a faith in God Secondly, breaks things in an easy to understand, easy to apply the method that anyone can follow and relate to. I'm reading some of his other books, and has quickly become my favorite author.

Love is the Killer App
Tim Sanders (http://www.timsanders.com)

Tim, an executive at Yahoo!, always talking about people who work with and to love you, sharing your knowledge and network, so that add value to all men. I like to think of myself as a "lovecat" and if you read this book, perhaps you'll understand why, and / or become a lovecat yourself.

And 'your boat
Mike Abrashoff (http://www.grassrootsleadership.com)

A great leadership book that encourages you to empower your team! Simple, clear messages that are the best!

NOTE: Mike just published a new book called Get your ship together that I have not read yet. If anyone has and has some thoughts on it, please send it my way. Thank you!

Leadership is an art
Max DePree

Max is a master of highlighting how clever is a good leader. Max also talks about how ethics are an important component of the business, and that is something more than the bottom line. Large, easy-to-read book that you can quickly apply to your situation leadership.

Good to Great
Jim Collins (http://www.jimcollins.com)

This book is the prequel to Built to Last (another great book), and tells of how the best companies got to where they were, in some very quantifiable. It amazes me every manager does not read this to learn how to be the best. Jim and the site has some great clips on different things you need to be GREAT! I would encourage everyone to read this book, think, and then get the book on CD and listen to Jim read the book, and think more. Wow!

First, break all the rules
Marcus Buckingham and Curt Coffman
This is how the best managers in the world should handle ... Treating each player as an individual, being afraid to do something different, breaking the rules! I took a class where we discussed this book, and believe me, this book opened my eyes to how you can really handle a team of unique people individually, if you're willing to make the effort.

Ken Blanchard - in particular, Gung Ho, Raving Fans, and the One Minute Manager series!

Reading easier, with important lessons for all of us that are easy to take away, all jam packed in an easy to read format. I especially like Gung Ho!, And I will be implementing "The Way of the Beaver", "The Spirit of the Squirrel" and "The Gift of the Goose" in my team as soon as possible .......

No comments:

Post a Comment